or perinatologist, if you will.
Tyler and I had an appointment with an MFM yesterday. I had my 20 week ultrasound at my OB-Gyn's office on Tuesday. The ultrasound tech who saw me was concerned about my amniotic fluid level (it was low) and referred me to an MFM to make sure that everything was okay.
As it turns out, we have no idea if things are going to be okay. The doctor suspects that I might have a viral infection (CMV, to be exact) that could also be affecting the baby. He told us that her organs look okay, but she is on the smaller side, she doesn't move a lot, and there isn't much fluid around her - all signs of an infection. He recommended I get blood work done to see if I have an infection and we'll go from there. If I do have signs of an infection, we'll next test amniotic fluid to see if the baby is affected, too. If she is infected, there's really not much we can do aside from wait. The MFM said that there are experimental treatments, but that they
are experimental and they may be limited.
Prognosis, you wonder? There really isn't one. There are a wide range of things that could happen with the baby, according to the MFM. The baby could be fine and deliver around her due date with minimal complications. On the other hand, she could be stillborn or born with defects, of which type we don't know.
That's the most frustrating part of this situation - we have no idea what will happen until
something happens - either a stillbirth or when she's born. We can't be told exactly what to do or expect. We simply have to wait.
One thing that has been positive (for me, at least,) is knowing that I didn't do anything to cause this, nor could I have done anything to prevent it. It just happened. It's out of my hands.
Now we just have to wait...
I had my blood drawn yesterday for a torch titer test. We were told that the test would take 1-2 days before we get the results back. I have an appointment with the MFM next Wednesday to see if fluid levels around the baby have increased. I'll have an appointment a week after that to see if she's grown any bigger.
Please keep us in your prayers as we anxiously wait to find out what's going on.
:)