"go forward in life with a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your face, but with great and strong purpose in your heart. love life and look for its opportunities, and forever and always be loyal to the church."
- president gordon b. hinckley -


Sunday, July 13, 2008

5k Number Three

Well, I did it again - I ran my third 5k of the summer. This 5k was a fundraiser for the Best Buddies Utah organization in hopes of bringing chapters of Best Buddies to Utah county high schools. (For more information on what Best Buddies is all about, go to bestbuddiesutah.org.)


The race took place at Mountain View high school in Orem. The course was great because it was relatively flat for the entire 3.1 miles, but somewhat disappointing because they had us run two laps towards the end of the race - something that is not necessarily exciting when it comes to running. (But who am I to say? I do all of my running on the treadmill!)

I ran the race with girls from work: Aubrey, Katie, Jessica, and Jenny. Katie's husband, Joey, ran with us too. They all did so great! And it was fun to get out and run with them. Afterwards, we floated the Provo River to celebrate and relax.

And now, for the exciting part: I ran this 5k a minute and a half faster than my last one! My time was 27:20, a 1:31 improvement over my second 5k, and a 2:10 improvement over my first 5k. I was shocked with my time (especially since I averaged a pace of less than a 9 minute mile), but I was also very pleased. As usual, my goal for the next 5k I run in will be to beat my previous time.

But we'll have to wait until August to see if that happens!

1 comment:

theRach said...

Wow, Christine, I am very impressed!! My attempts at 5K training keep getting stalled by my ongoing battle with shin splints. Hopefully someday I will be able to do what you have done this summer....and I'll bet you've finished all your AmeriCorps hours, too! :)