...I suppose "soapboxes" is a harsher term than I'd prefer to use for this blog post title, but I don't know any synonyms and I'm too lazy to look. (And yes, I know I'm online and it's quite easy to do so...) So the blog post title shall remain as such.
1) Happy Halloween! I love Halloween and I'm so excited that today is the day! I love candy - more particularly chocolate. I love dressing up and seeing little kids in cute costumes. Tyler and I are getting all dressed up and going to a ward Halloween party this evening. It should be fun! I also love Halloween because, as Dr. Veit put it, it signals the start of a great holiday season. First Halloween, next Thanksgiving, then Christmas and New Years! I love this time of the year, minus the weather. Plus, it means that the semester is almost over, which is always a happy thing to think about.
2) I am a believer that drugs can kill you...figuratively. Don't get me wrong, I come from a very medical family and I do believe in the power of drugs, but studying for my pharmacology test has just about killed me. Don't believe me? I'll let you borrow my pharm book sometime and you can see for yourself. I'm currently trying to memorize a plethora of cardiac drugs, in addition to anti-infectives, anti-virals, anti-fungals, local anesthetics, and general anesthetics, just to name a few. It's studying for this test that is making me so frustrated and led me to write this post. Just ask Tyler how frustrated it is making me!
3) Tyler's mom gave me the Scrubbing Bubbles tub/shower cleaner - and let me tell you, it works wonders. I'm very convinced that the bath tub in my house is the original one from the 1920s (okay, probably not) and cleaning it is a beast. It collects dirt like no bath tub I've ever seen before, and the Scrubbing Bubbles pad cleaned it fantastically - better than Scrubbing Bubbles spray alone. I recommend it!
4) I think it's funny that the media uses statistical reasoning to support Obama, yet doesn't do the same for McCain. For example, they're discrediting McCain's gain in the polls as "statistical noise," which is likely, but doesn't that mean that Obama's previous leads are affected by the same "noise" - meaning his leads aren't as great as they claim? It's been a while since I studied statistics, so pardon my efforts to talk about this, but it sure is obvious that the media is heavily biased towards the Democrats. That's why I think this election will be interesting. The media may be Democratic, but that doesn't mean everyone is. (Another "hanging chad" election, perhaps?) It's an unfortunate, though, because the media has a very strong influence over its audience, and when Democratic issues are given more broadcast time, it can unfairly bias voters. (http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003875230)
5) I am a supporter of Proposition 8. I understand that most of you reading this blog probably have the same beliefs I have about homosexual marriage, but I think it's important to write about the issue all the same. I do not think that marriage between a man and a man or a woman and a woman should be recognized by the government, especially when (in California) a homosexual couple already has all the same rights and privileges as a legally married couple. All they are fighting for in this proposition is a status, and unfortunately, most people don't understand how this status change will lead to a deterioration of society. Some argue that we're withholding a civil right in this issue, but consider what has happened in Massachusetts, the only other state to legalize homosexual marriage. Schools are now permitted to teach homosexuality. Teachers are not required to send home advance notice of this teaching, nor are parents allowed to take their children out of class when it is being taught. What does this leave parents to do? Nothing - they can't do anything (unless, I suppose, they home school). With this issue, we're asked to be "tolerant," but at what cost? There is nothing to be gained by legally recognizing homosexual marriage, but so much to lose if this proposition fails. Please talk to friends and family in California and explain to the the importance of supporting this proposition. For more information, go to protectmarriage.com.
6) I am waiting to hear back on a scholarship. Today is the last day that all applicants were to be notified of the results, but I haven't heard anything and that makes me nervous! My licensing boards are coming up next semester, and they are nothing short of about $1200 in total. That's on top of tuition and fees of over $5000, in addition to "living costs." Let's hope I hear about the scholarship soon - and let's hope I receive one!!
Well, that's all for now, folks. Have a very Happy Halloween!!
:)
4 comments:
Sounds like you have been super busy.
1) I have always been scared of Halloween...I'm a Lame-o...also I have to lose weight :(
2)Good luck on your pharmacology test. You are super smart!
3)I was unsure about the scrubbing bubbles stuff but now I think i shall try it.
4)The polls are a load of crap and yes incredibly slanted. I very much agree with you.
5)Thank you very much for sharing how you feel. It's always great to know there are people on the same page. Maybe at this point teaching homosexuality in schools in california is not an issue but we all know that's where it is headed.
6)Good luck on the scholarship!!!!
Ahhhh! Pharmocology is going to kill me, too! I will send you my outline tonight. Sorry I didn't do it last night, but I spent the whole evening making my amazing Wonder Woman costume....also, ditto on the Proposition 8 -- I think if I lived in Mass. I would homeschool my kids, so that I could make sure they learn correct principles regarding marriage!
And, good luck on the scholarship...I definitely feel your pain there! :)
i know exactly how you feel about studying. i cannot look at the pharmacology notes without feeling like hitting my head with the book repeatedly. that class is so impossible. and so not applicable.
Christine, WOW! I am so impressed with your thoughts and feelings. I appreciate your candor and honesty. Thank you. I'm glad you love Halloween. As you know we do here at my house, well at least one of us does. But I have passed it on to a couple of children. Good luck with the tests and all. Did you hear about the scholarship yet? Love ya
Post a Comment